Recently I needed to monitor an Excel document for a program at work. The program needed to monitor when the spreadsheet was saved, and then read data from the spreadsheet.
I often seen KDE’s Plasma Activities referred to as a solution in search of a problem. Initially I had no use for them, myself. Over time I’ve started to have a need for them. A recent project of mine has reminded me of how nice it is to have Activities around.
Since this is problem the third time over the past few years that I’ve had a problem where I could not view my to-do items nor add any to KOrganizer, and spent a long time trying to figure out how to get it working, I’m posting it here as a reference for the next time it occurs.
When creating an OpenXml Spreadsheet, the first two fills are reserved.
MediaWiki recommends against using the top level of a domain to load wiki pages from. If only a section of the site contains a wiki, http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page makes sense. MediaWiki supports this. If the entire site is a wiki, then http://example.com/Main_Page makes sense. MediaWiki does not support this, and recommends against it.
The problem with the latter is that it renders files such as robots.txt as a wiki page at http://example.com/Robots.txt. This can be avoided by using MediaWiki’s extensions capability.
To get around this issue, I wrote an extension.
Last night I did an upgrade of my Arch Linux system. Today I opened my e-mail to find all my e-mail missing except my inbox…!
Note to self: When installing KDE and using Oxygen as the widget style, run “oxygen-settings” to find the “Windows’ drag mode” option. Set to “Drag windows from titlebar only”.
A couple of weeks back, I had to rename ~/.kde and ~/.local to fix a whole bunch of issues that had been building up for a long time. Can’t remember specifically what they were by now, but it was necessary.
When I was running Kubuntu Karmic, I tagged a bunch of images. I’m currently on Kubuntu Lucid. None of my images are tagged. I wonder if the upgrade killed the tags. The tags are still recognized (if I go to tag an image, the old tags are still listed), but no images are tagged. I guess I’ll continue to not tag files.
It’s just as well. Some other images I hadn’t tagged yet, I mass-renamed them from the command line, and that would have wiped out the tags if they had any.